Dwarf camellia/sasanqua

austennutNovember 1, 2006

I'm looking for varieties of dwarf camellias or sasanquas that could be easily kept to 3' tall. I'd prefer for them to bloom either white or red. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdillem(8bLouisiana)

Dwarf can be a tricky term in this part of the country. Often a reference to dwarf just means that it is slow growing, and while smaller, over time will attain some size. That said, take a look at the Camelia Reverend Ida. It is low growing, compact and spreading. Similar to the Shishigashira but with a red flower. Over time however, it may get over 3', perhaps up to 5'. It has become one of my new favorites.

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 12:54PM
austennut

Thanks for the recommendation. Where did you get yours? Also, do you think it would do okay in a spot that got morning shade and afternoon sun?

I also understand that dwarf shrubs will not remain dwarf-sized forever. So long as they're able to handle pruning that will keep them at the dwarf size. :) And I prefer slower-growing so that I'm not constantly pruning.

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 1:11AM
rdillem(8bLouisiana)

I got mine at the Hilltop Arboretum fall plant sale in Baton Rouge. They ususally have a good selection of more unusual or harder to find Plants. Green's nursery in Fairhope, Alabama also has a very good selection, which is actually where Hilltop gets their Camelias. Mine grow in a fair amount of shade, but Sasanqua's can ustually take more sun than the Japanicas. The reverse would be better, morning sun afternoon shade but it may be ok it not too much harsh sun.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 10:38AM
jimshy

Camellia 'Winter's Rose' is a dwarf cultivar and slow growing -- it's also pretty hardy. It has shell pink, rose-shaped flowers. Try Fairweather Gardens online for a source.

Jim

Bookmark   December 14, 2006 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
Kristin
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
Sponsored Products
Camellia Pendant
Lightology
Linon Southern Living Collection Rosedown Camellia - RUG-SLSG2523
$45.50 | Hayneedle
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Camellia Carnelian
Home Depot
Camellia Floral Shower Curtain
Overstock.com