Hybridizing for beginners

tamararlyNovember 21, 2009

Hi to All,

so I want to do my first hand cross pollination. For what have I to look before? Have the colours to be the same, or the flower form similar ? What's about the varieties and the leaves? For example if I want to marry a bushy growing japonica with long small leaves, red flower bells together with an upright growing one, large leaves and whith white single flowers - would that work?

All suggestions would be welcome. LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spartacuslives

tamararly, The possibilities of Hybridization are virtually unlimited. You can cross-pollinate similar or different camellias. Most of the Camellia sasanquas that exist in our gardens today are really hybrids of Camellia sasanqua and Camellia japonica. The original Sasanquas were all white in their native japan. From the Japonica genes, we have the colors.

Many foliage characteristics would be passed on through hybridization. I have a Holly Leaf Camellia. Most seedlings of this variety or seedlings resulting from pollen from this variety have that same Holly Leaf characteristic. Cross-pollinate to your heart'delight. It is lots of fun.

There is an article on Camellia Hybridization in the latest edition of the Free Online E-Newsletter called THE CAMELLIA GARDENER. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Camellia Gardener November/December 2009

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 6:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamararly

Oh! Thank you very much for encouraging me! So I started my first try with C. crapnelliana and oleifera. Crapnelliana's flower has already fallen down. Now I can wait and hope that the fruit will not be empty! :)

Thank you also very much for sharing your interesting link!

Greetings
tamararly

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 3:59AM
More Discussions
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
Kristin
The 'Real' Mathotiana?
I'm trying to get a handle on my camellia varieties,...
vmr423
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
Sponsored Products
Gloss Table Lamp by Pablo Designs
$355.00 | Lumens
Gus Modern | Spencer LOFT Bi-Sectional
YLiving.com
VIG Furniture - H72 - Modern Patio Lounge Set - VGHTDH72
Great Furniture Deal
The Monza Hybrid Architectural Pendant
Alcon Lighting Supply Co
Nest Lounge & Ottoman Set in Blue
$899.99 | Dot & Bo