which of three camellias for low-ish hedge

jenlantiaNovember 1, 2013

Hello -

I am looking forward to a beautiful low hedge of those shiny green leaves on a south facing hedegline about 25 feet long. I have three common white blooming camellias to choose from - and wondered if anyone has reasons to choose one over the others. My dream hedge would start with plants 4 feet tall and the would grow to about 6 over several to many years, though it seems 8 or more is likely for many camellias. I am going to have to work on the hedge as the space is narrow. The three under consideration are:
Cam Sas. White Doves
Cam Sas . Setsugekka
Cam hybrid White Snowman

Thanks for any points to consider-

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

Here are excerpts from the Web Camellia Register about plant habits:

'Setsugekka': Leaves deep green, a little weeping. Upright, fast grower. Early flowering.

'Mine-no-yuki' AKA 'White Doves': Leaves, dull, dark green, sometimes variegated, 4 cm x 2.5 cm, slightly serrate, apices blunt acute. Habit is willowy, spreading, medium vigorous and blooms heavily.

'Winter's Snowman': Plant growth is upright, average and medium, with dark green leaves 7.5 cm long x 3.5 cm wide.

You may also want to do an image search with your search engine of choice to get a visual idea of what these plants look like. If you're wanting shiny, dark leaves, Mine-no-yuki may not have leaves shiny enough?

I don't see a camellia hybrid named 'White Snowman', but 'Winter's Snowman' is a cold-hardy Ackerman hybrid. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has grown these cold-hardy hybrids in warmer areas of the country?

Here is a link that might be useful: Web Camellia Register

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 3:06PM
jenlantia

Thank you vmr423. Indeed I used google images but it is at times difficult to find a nice view of the established shrub. There are always good images of the blooms!
I'm having trouble deciding because two sound "floppy" and one - Winter Snowman seems like it will outgrow its space.

I'll make a choice today though!

Jennifer

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 12:13PM
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

I would guess any of those can grow rather large, but you should be able to keep them 'in line' by periodically cutting them back. Camellias don't mind some pruning/shaping; if you occasionally whack off the tops, they will grow out and get bushier.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Sponsored Products
Jamie Young Camellia 15"W Antique Silver Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Camellia Carnelian
Home Depot
Lady Camellia Covered Jar
The City Farm
Sample-Fusion Camellia With Copper Deco Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Camellia Pendant
Lightology