Is Bowiea volubilis self-pollinating?

mark4321_gwApril 21, 2014

My Bowiea volubilis is finally blooming. I've had it for years, and I've only been able to propagate it by bulb scale cuttings so far. Now I hope it will set seed. My sense is that it is self-fertile, with a single clone in bloom sufficient for seed production (please let me know if this is not the case). However I have a vague memory that it might be one that benefits from manual pollination of the flowers to get efficient seed set. Does anyone know whether this is the case? I already saw a tiny wasp that appeared to be visiting one of the flowers, so maybe I have an appropriate pollinator anyway.

The flowers are not showy, but small and interesting. They are up at about 7 feet, climbing the Fuchsia boliviana Alba (also in bud).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nomen_nudum

A good breeze or just brushing up against them while walking by is usually behind the pollinating.

After or if success the seedling will look more like a grassy color string it could take a couple years before you see any prominent onion shape from them.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark4321_gw

Thanks. It sounds like maybe vegetative propagation is faster? I was able to get little bulbs the size of small peas the first year.

I have a photo of the wasp visiting a tiny flower. I didn't find those shots at first.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
New to growing cactus, leaf withering?
Hi all! I bought this mini cactus plant last Wednesday,...
s_tomato
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™