Will it survive?

Wendy1986April 12, 2012

I know next to nothing about succulents, but when I was poking around the ratty backyard (I've been slowly improving it one section at a time) of our rented house, I found a plastic pot with some succulents in it. Everything was dead except a few of them because they were mostly in the shade shoved behind a bunch of crap. Well, I repotted them and watered them lightly, but they didn't look like they had very much in the way of roots. Are succulents shallow rooted? They are now sitting in a sunny spot, but will they live, do you think? Also, I have no clue what type they are, they have pointy ends (leaves?), green on top and green and white horizontal stripes on the bottom. They are little, between four and six inches across and the biggest maybe four inches high. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Yes, there is a chance it will survive. :) I sounds like you have Haworthia attenuata (common name Zebra plant). (See the link below. Does it look like your plant?)

Some succulents have shallow roots. I'm not sure about this one. The fact it has any is a good sign, as long as they're not mushy. Don't put them in full sun right away. Start with a partially shady spot (if still in a pot) & move them into sunnier position gradually.

Use well draining soil & water when dry.

Yes, things with pointy ends are leaves, :)
Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia attenuata

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:51PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

succulents are fairly resilient and some are easily propagated by breaking a piece of it off and sticking it in well draining mix. there's a good chance yours will develop roots.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:46PM
Wendy1986

Thanks! I didn't think anyone had replied because the site didn't e-mail them to me! I really appreciate the info! :D

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
Aloe ID
Anyone here know the ID of this aloe? This is over...
russ_fla
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™