Milky Spore

cookie8(zone 5 ON)April 28, 2008

Anyone know why they don't sell this in Canada? I have the worst lawn ever and think I have to start with the grubs - I was hoping to tackle it with nematodes and milky spore but the gardening centre said ms isn't available in Canada? My husband so wants a quick fix - chemicals - but we have 3 young children and pets plus I would like something a little more friendly. We have 1/2 acre so there's a lot of work to do. thx for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

The bacteria is not registered here. You may find it here and there, but it will be a rare thing. It's also not particularly effective in our colder climate, and it's crazy expensive! I've read claims that it takes years to build up adequate populations of bacteria in the soil to be truly effective. Nematodes will help to some degree, but aren't perfect either - they will need to be applied during cool weather and probably applied yearly.

For the most part, because of their harmful effects on bees, birds and aquatic life (and of course people, but it takes a lot to harm a person), I am very anti-pesticide for home use, and prefer to control insects by not growing plants that attract problem pests and by learning to live with some others.

I would avoid planting anything the adults feed on. Maples, apples, plums, cherries, virginia creeper and hollyhocks are all things that come to mind. Getting rid of feeding adults will help get rid of the grubs in your lawn.

BP

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 11:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

thanks, I'm desperate the yard is a mess! I don't mind weeds and all and do what I can to keep them down but now there is dead patches and about 1/4 of the yard has been torn up from skunks - we have almost 1/2 acre so it's pretty bad.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Chahna Cushioned Bench
Beyond Stores
Gavin Milky White Ceramic Table Lamp Set of 2
Lamps Plus
CS005 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Kaz - Honeywell 16200 HEPA Table Top Air Cleaner - 2964-2105
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Mocha Flourish Linen Bronze Balance Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus