Everyone show me your Cactus area!

Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/bApril 1, 2013

Well i think that the tittle pretty explains everything.
This is my set up! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Microthrix(9)

you asked, so you`re getting it. im giving you 95% of my garden. in pics of coarse. the other 5% isnt attractivve enouhg to appear on the internet. These are cellphone pics and are really bad, so bare with me.

Callendula going crazy

theres a 2 foot saguaro somewhere under that opuntia.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:03PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Zeck, I hate to be a pest, but if you were to know the answer off hand.. In your second photo, immediately to the left of the community cacti pot in dead center is a small pot of what looks like two deep red rosettes (one an offset), and I'd love to know what plant that is. The rosettes look so large and beautiful, and I'm not sure what it is I'm admiring. Awesome collection.

This post was edited by teatree on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 22:56

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:55PM
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

Wow Microthrix what a beautiful cactus area, makes mine look puny! LOL are you a teenager gardener? Because somehow the pics remind me of a forum and i think you mentioned that you were a teenager or something? I am myself a teenager gardener my self!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:18PM
Microthrix(9)

@tea tree, its not being a pest! I love answering questions about.succulents :P that little plant is a Sempervivum 'Mahogany' I love its nice red colouring. I admire it all the time.
grantgarden, yeah, I'm a teenage gardener. 14 To be exact. Whenever i tell friends about my hobby (obsession if you will...) they just give me a weird look. Its quite funny. Teachers are also quite surprised by it.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 12:18AM

Oh, thank you! It is a Semp then. I first thought so, but then second-guessed because I thought the rosettes were perhaps too large to be one.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:07AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Micro,
I don't think that "weird look" goes away when you get older. I'm almost 27 and I get weird looks from people when I tell them that one of my hobbies is plants (C&S, Houseplants, gardening, etc). ;)

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:09

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:05AM
emerald1951

Hi all....
Grantgardener2 your area is very bright and warm looking I would guess your plants love it, because they sure look great....
Mirco.....how in the world did you get so many plants, so fast??? and great growing they all look great, good job....
I would have more but hard to find something new up here in MN.....but here are pics of mine.....this is in my downstairs familyroom.....linda

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:22AM
emerald1951

sorry about 2 post but I don't know how to put more then one picture in a post....
this is my kitchen window......

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:23AM
cactusmcharris

For the non-cold-hardys

Winter they're in like this

Summer they're (mostly) growing on this

We're on a roll and a dog

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:31AM

Yeah, the looks from people don't go away in your twenties. I'd midway through that decade, and the expressions and laughs haven't gone. :)

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:06PM
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

Wow everyone There are some beautiful cactus! Lovely cats and dogs Cactusm, I love pets a lot! I have 2 cats and 3 dogs.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:51PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

They all look so nice and healthy. Mine are spread all over the place, both inside and out, so I don't really have a cactus area.

Jeff, that is a very cute dog pic. It looks like they are great buddies.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:50AM
lme5573

Can I show my jades? No cactus for me right now. My DH built me a light stand when we were first married. This is one half of the lower shelf. I am impatiently waiting to move a few to the back porch when the weather warms up.
Lennie in Michigan

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:32AM
lme5573

And here's my entire setup, in a spare bedroom with the windows giving a northern exposure.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:36AM
growforit

It's really amazing to see the love and dedication you guys put into growing succulents inside and or in green houses...

A++ in degree of difficulty, attention and effort !!

Microthrix, if I may echo emarald1951... cool to see someone your age into plants... your 'PIG's, plant in ground, being in zone 9, did you have access to some biggies and plunk them in the ground - or were those established and you've added on [potted plants] from there?

What's up though - cactus only, not into succulents ? You're young, getting stabbed by cactus hurts less at your age :-) ;-)

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 11:37PM
Microthrix(9)

most of the ones in the ground are from small pots, maybe 2-4 inches. mostly from lowes/homedepot. i think maybe 15% of the ones in the ground were bought large. alot of the ones in the last 3 photos were bought large. looking at this and realizing how large everything grew in such a short period of time makes me feel like a really good cactus parent :,)

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:19AM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Wow, you all have such great collections! I have my cacti outdoors mixed in throughout the landscaping. Here is the main dry garden in the spring:

And here's that same area in the summer. (That Aloe Ferox had a major bud rot problem, so as you may notice, the rosette is quite deformed in this photo.)

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:24PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have mey pots of tender cactus and my pots of Agave that I am trying to get large enough to put out where they won't be butted to death by the deer. And then there are the pots that are waiting for fill dirt. So things are a mess and things are still reccoupping from a horrid freeze 2 years back.. Nothing as lush as the Californian Gardens. I am still building my house while living in it and tthings are a mess.

There is the famous bridge of pain. Do not run out here on a dark night.

Which leads to this unfinished abode.

We just had a 4" of rain and big winds so things really are a mess

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:26PM
wweidele(6)

Wow everybody has awsome gardens going good job guys your plants look great and @Microthrix where did u get all those cacti lol and I know how u feel I'm 23 when I was your age and ven now I still get the funny faces and "you do what?" But I don't care there the ones missing out lol

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:49PM
notolover(5)

The Echinopsis & Trichocereus will be going out soon

As you can see, my sunroom doesn't have anymore space in it.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:35PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Wonderful collections, all of them. Enjoyed the photos very much, thank you all.

I have succulents, not many cacti, do they count?

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:05AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Hoovb, great colors!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:55AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Wow - that is gorgeous Hoovb! Is that pink flower Calandrinia? The other gardens and set-ups are wonderful too and I've gone back to look at them more than once. :-)
Here is a little cactus area that I moved out of the unheated greenhouse the other day. The weedy sedum needs to be removed.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:42AM
Allan870

Here's a fisheye view of some of my cactus, succulents, jades, & desert roses.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:51PM
FrugalFanny(4)

Oh this is fun! Loved the tours of your collections. They are all so unique and wonderful!

Thanks for sharing!
FF

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:55

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:54PM
rina_

Some of mine, still inside, under shop lights.

Rina

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Succulent Growing Roots From Stem
Not sure what I should do with my plant! It has been...
chelseaw
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™