Kanjiro

Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VANovember 22, 2013

Kanjiro is a nice Fall bloomer. This one's flowers gets zapped by cold, they're not terribly tough, but it's got nice color. Will enjoy for now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

A good choice too, with a nice weeping look. Not much mind you but, enough to give an impression that it will grow a lot sideways more than upright. My dogs and I killed my Kanjiro. I planted one years ago and a shed protected it. Then I had to tear down the shed and build anew elsewhere. I forgot to move it and the dogs declared war on squirrels. The poor thing got trampled. I replaced it with a "new" Kanjiro late last Fall. It had only one flower open when I bought it December but nothing opened yet. Hope the cold weather will not delay the opening but the buds looked kind of small so I may have to wait. Sigh. Hee hee hee!

That was a nice picture by the way, Dave. The palm leaves on the background give the picture a "tropical" look.

Luis

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 7:04PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Thanks Luis!

The palm behind is a Windmill palm that gets no protection. It gets a bit of injury from cold, but perhaps as it gets bigger it will have more 'stamina'.

Regarding Kanjiro, it has nice sort of two-tone petals. I have a seedling of it called Rose of Autumn which is a double flowered variety.

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 8:25AM
luis_pr

I have not heard of Rose of Autumn or if I did I forgot. Is it white and red two tone?

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 9:11AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I had not heard of 'Rose of Autumn' either, until I saw it at Lowes and picked it up on sale ($19 for 2.5 gallon). The flowers are larger than Kanjiro, a nice deep pink, and double. Supposed to be a very vigorous grower. Zone 7A hardy. Hopefully will be an early bloomer.

So, we'll see how it does.

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 10:04AM
vmr423

Very nice photo of 'Kanjiro'. I hope it's tolerating this cold weather without too much trauma.

I love how generous that variety is with its blooms. Its tendency to grow sideways makes it a good choice for anyone planning to espalier a camellia. 'Rose of Autumn' is a nice-looking plant, and I hope it does well for you.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 2:40AM
kittymoonbeam

I have one clipped into a tree shape. Kanjiro is so reliable every year. One of the best bloomers with a beautiful shape to the plant.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™