Should I stake it? If so, how?

Sharpchick(7b)April 24, 2014

Last May, I bought this interesting aloe at Lowe's - it was in a 3 inch pot and was already 5.5" tall.

I got it home and got to looking and found out it was a. ciliaris (and I think it's a. ciliaris var. tidmarshii, because the teeth go all the way to the base of the leaf).

And that it would grow and grow, rapidly.

It's 15.5 inches tall now (measuring from the gravel to the tip of the topmost leaf). It kind of sways when I rotate it to keep it growing evenly.

I know in the wild this plant uses other plants for support. I'm thinking I probably should stake it - soon - and wonder what you would suggest to use.

I have some 1/4 inch dowels and a roll of velcro stripping that I use on my climbing and rambler roses.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crenda SWFL 10A

Wow - your Aloe ciliaris IS growing fast, or maybe mine is slow. Mine is almost 2 years old, but only about a foot tall. We are in different zones, and mine stays outside in full sun all year. And I'll admit that I don't fertilize as I should.

I have not staked mine, but I did transplant is next to a large "boulder" of coral that I have on a raised island out front. Sorry I don't have a picture of it there. I am hoping it will lean and climb the coral as I have no other plants for it to climb on.

Here's mine, still in the pot -

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
amazing looking succulent too good to be true?
Anyone have any naysay about ordering from online?...
Britni Rice
What kind of Succulent is this?
I've been trying to figure this out for a while but...
yonatin
How long do Epiphyllum cuttings last for?
Hi everyone before I got bogged down with school I...
snowboardinggirl
Fenestraria aurantiaca
Back in September 2014 got a few seeds in. this was...
tanpexoctics
Gasteraloe, possibly?
I'm new to this forum, so hello, I'm Alex! I'm a passionate...
Alex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™