moving my garden

diane_v_44(Z6)May 20, 2007

I am moving end of July. Have been digging up a great number of Hostas, day lillies, etc.

Have put them in black pots that I was fortunate to pick up from garden centres and friends.

What I am concerned about digging up are the peonies I know they don't like to be moved

What are your thoughts on this

Digging up the garden is okay with the new people moving in. I am replacing the plants with annuals which is what they like

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

Hi Diane. I dug up a peony and moved it this spring. How old are your peonies? Mine was close to 15 years old. Just make sure you have a large root ball when you dig it up so you don't disturb the roots to much. Marg

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 8:12AM
ianna(Z5b)

before you do any transplanting, make sure to give your plants a good drink several hours to uprooting them. Also do so early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the sun isn't harsh.

I've recently moved and took a lot of my plants (except the peony) with me. They existed in large planters in shaded and protected areas over winter. I've lost a few but most survived and are now in the ground and doing well.

Ianna

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 2:39PM
Mystery_Gardener

Hi Diane:

It is also very important that you do not replant them too deep. This is a very common mistake that people make and the peony is a lot less likely to flower if you do so.

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 3:54AM
More Discussions
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™