Hydrangea Merritt s Supreme

sunita_fleuristeMay 20, 2007

Hello all,

Last year we got my mum a potted hydrangea (I think it was for Mother s Day). We didn t plant it out because we thought it was an inside plant....it kinda died (we thought) but we kept it in the basement anyway.

Now I see buds on it! I checked up on the internet and see that it s a perennial and hardy to zone 6...I m at the most 5 and possibly more like 4...

Can I still plant this outside? What can I do to ensure that it will survive the winter??

If anyone has any advice please let me know..

Thanks

S

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yugoslava

If you are closer to zone 4 I don't know if you can overwinter it outside. Perhaps someone might have a better advice. However, I would suggest planting it in a large pot or barrel and bringing it indoors in the winter and keeping it cool. In the spring when days become brighter bring it into light and when temperature is above 0 place it outside. Temperatures of 2,3 or 4 bellow zero won't hurt the plant but it should not go into deep freeze before you bring it in. Hydrangeas don't like being too dry. Fertilize with slightly higher middle number. I would suggest fertilizer for rhododendrons.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 12:57PM
sunita_fleuriste

Thanks for the reply :)

I will try planting it in a pot...hopefully it will bloom for me.

Thanks again.

S

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 11:27AM
bern_2007

I'm in zone 4, and I didn't dare put mine in the ground. Mine was the beautiful blue type. And it bloom twice for me last year. I brought the pot in my garage and set it in the window to overwinter . And this spring, it started to get leaves. I brought it in the house, and tried to get it to flower for the middle of this month, almost succeded. Got flower buds in it and everything; but I was fooled by the few very warm days and I put it outside, and they got frost bite. No flowers for May. Will try for summer blooms. Hope you have success with yours.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
Hey, where'd the Canadian Exchange go...
It seems to have disappeared.
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Sponsored Products
Bacova Hydrangea Elegant Dimensions Indoor Kitchen Door Mat - Yellow/Green - 504
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Multicolored Northwest Garden Wreath - 22"
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Hydrangea 2-piece Swag Empress Valance
Overstock.com
Hydrangea Sheer 84-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Jane Seymour Rose and Hydrangea 14 in. Holiday Silk Flower Arrangement Multicolo
$93.50 | Hayneedle
Forever Green Art Red Bowl Arrangment
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™