planting morning glory late in the season?

lexmark_2008May 18, 2008

hello everyone, i live in quebec and i wanted to start planting morning glory seeds but im not sure if its too late in the season and if I would just be wasting my time...

most of the seeds would be planted in poor soil conditions with alot of grass but i read that this wouldn't be much of a problem if i use a bit of fertilizer... is this true?

i'm a complete gardening noob so any help on growing these beatiful vines is always welcome, thank you for reading!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wendy2shoes

Not too early..it's been so cold! I have some seedlings just popping up now from the vines I had last year, in all the wrong places, of course.
Don't worry about the fertilizer. If you can plant them with a bit of triple mix or potting soil, they'll do fine. Fertilizing them, in my experience, results in lots of leaves, but not a lot of flowers.
Wendy

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 6:24PM
enjoy

I agree with Wendy! Avoid fertilizer and also avoid potting soil with the fertilizer mixed in. They really don't enjoy this cold weather anyway. I started mine indoors but it is still too cold to set them out as far as I am concerned. Go for it! You have nothing to lose except the $1.99 worth of seeds maybe.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 12:43PM
kanuk(Zone 5 Qc Canada)

I'm in Quebec also. I planted my seeds on May 14th and on May 20th I had sprouts out on two 'Evening Glory Ipomoea'(Moonflower). I'm still waiting to see any sprouts from Heavenly Blue & Blue Star.
Before I planted the seeds I soaked them in water for 24 hours. Because the Moonflower seeds were the size of peas & easy to handle I nicked their seed coats with nail clippers prior to soaking. That was the first time I've done that & it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined and I think it really helped. They are the first to sprout even though I've read they can be tricky to grow.
I didn't nick the others because they were substantially smaller & I thought soaking would be enough. Maybe I was wrong thinking that since they still show now signs of germination 9 days after planting. I've got my fingers crossed on one hand and the car keys in the other to run to buy more seeds!!
So I would say soak your seeds for 24 hours to soften the seed coats and/or scratch or nick their seeds coats to help them to germinate before you plant 'em.
All the best!

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Sponsored Products
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Chivalry Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
Surprising Low Armchair - Fermob
$522.00 | HORNE
Upton Home Cornell Sofa Table
Overstock.com
Woven Jute Roll Up Blinds 36 Inch, Width - 36 Inches
$69.00 | Bellacor
20" Ribbed Amphora Copper Planter - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware