When to allow peppers/tomatoes to flower/fruit?.

bytalMay 29, 2013

This is my second year starting tomatoes and peppers from seeds and my first year under lights. I started the plants in Feb/Mar and they have constantly been trying to flower for at least six weeks while they were in the green house in the yard but I keep picking them off to allow the plants to grow larger. Once I allow them to flower and fruit will the plants get much bigger or will they stay about the same size? My peppers are about a foot tall or so and tomatoes are between two to three foot tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Though you do not indicate your Hardiness Zone or in which part of the country you live, I believe it's time to plant your tomatoes and peppers in the garden, stop debudding them and let them do their thing.

Most varieties of peppers grow to more than 2 feet and tomatoes can grow to over 6 feet, depending on what type they are and the length of your growing season.

I planted mine Victoria Day weekend which is our last frost date in Zone 5, and some of the tomato and pepper plants I purchased already have flowers and are only about 8 inches high.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bytal

Thanks Dianasan.

I'm in Vancouver and I've left them be and will let everything flower. I was surprised at how early my peppers tried to flower as some were trying to flower inside under lights while the plants were only 2" tall.

I know the tomatoes I'm growing should reach 6' or so but I wasn't sure how much the plants continue to grow once they start to concentrate their efforts on fruiting.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Hey, where'd the Canadian Exchange go...
It seems to have disappeared.
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
Lemon Kenwood Reversible Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Kamenstein Extra Drawer 12-bottle Spice Rack
Overstock.com
Knockout Orange Floral Arrangement
$379.00 | FRONTGATE
Oran Greek Key Flatweave Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - ORANGE
$229.00 | Horchow
Voyager Desk
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Emerson Medallion Beige 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Kraus C-KCV-141-1002 White Round Ceramic Sink and Sheven Faucet - C-KCV-141-1002
$219.95 | Hayneedle
Tay Tay Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Opal Matte Glass
$175.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™