Whats up with Camellia Forests version of Winters Rose?

lizelle(z6)November 18, 2009

I ordered this plant from Camellia Forest after reading good things about the nursery here. I genuinely thought they had mislabeled the plant they sent me, but they assured me that it was indeed, WinterÂs Rose.

When the bud started to open I thought it was deformed & the result of an experiment gone horribly wrong. There was nothing that I found attractive about the flower! Its white (not soft shell pink) it has a dark center (not yellow) & then there's the whole "looking deformed while opening" thingÂ. WhereÂs my delicate rose bud like flower!

The plant looks nothing like the one advertised on their website and here is the plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Was that flower bud on the plant when you got it? It may have suffered in transit. Also, is your plant indoors? That could be a factor if it's warm and dry. Any stress normally causes buds to brown and fall off, so if stress is the reason, it's surprising that it opened at all. I don't know if you plan to put the plant in the ground next spring or in a pot, but maybe if it grows a complete season outdoors it will open flowers normally. It's always possible that you got a mislabeled plant, but CamForest is pretty good.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 9:41AM
butterfly4u

Get that plant in the ground.
It's drying out!
Mulch good, and don't plant it too deep, level with the soil or a little higher up on a small mound.
Water good, she's dry.
Then watch her bloom!
Good Luck!

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 12:03AM
lizelle(z6)

Yes, the buds were on the plant when I got it. None of them have dropped off. Hopefully it's just stressed from travel but it sure does have a long way to go before transforming to the swan I know WR to be.
The plant is well mulched with rotted compost. Definitely not dry.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 7:53AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Lizelle you still don't say where this plant is growing. Is it indoors or out? If it's in a pot and you have added a lot of rotted compost, that could be an issue. Camellias like good drainage and need some aeration in the soil, especially if they are in a pot. The heavy mulch could be too much. No doubt your plant is stressed, but without more details it's hard to say what's causing it.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 2:23PM
steve_nj(7-a)

My 'Winter Rose' looks like the catalog pic. newly planted (small) camellias sometimes have atypical flowers.

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 8:47PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I agree that the flower shown looks like the plant is being adversely affected by its current, apparently too dry situation.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™