Help - look for a 'fast' growing camellia

doudou(9a Houston, TX)November 8, 2004

Can anyone suggest a relatively fast growing camellia in Houston area (9a)? I would really love to plant one at north side of my house. I heard camellias were difficult to grow and were slow growers, but hope there might be some out there for beginners.

The plant needs to be in upright form. My color preference goes with white, pink, then red, because my house is a red one. I have two spots available - one receives morning sun and afternoon shade; the other one is just the opposite.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glantern(z7b GA)

I believe that the Kanjiro camellia is supposed to be relatively fast growing for camellias (in general, camellias are slow growers).

Bookmark   November 9, 2004 at 3:59PM
GAAlan(z7b(on map) 8(imby) Atlanta)

As I was reading your title I was thinking about my Kanjiro too. I planted a one gallon on December 22, 2001 and at the time it was 2'6". I just measured it at 6'6". It would actually be several inches taller than this, but I did some light trimming a month or two ago.

Bookmark   November 10, 2004 at 5:54PM
doudou(9a Houston, TX)

Thanks! I looked at the picture of Kanjiro, it is soooo pretty. I definited will put it on my list.

Bookmark   November 10, 2004 at 10:54PM
CamelliaJim(Z9CA)

Many of the Reticulata hybrids are fast growers. "Linda Carol" (light pink)is real fast grower in my garden. Also, Non-Reticulata hybrids such as "Dolores Edwards" (pink) and "Honeymoon" (creamy white)grow extremly fast. The problem with many of the hybrids is that they don't have great foliage like the Japonicas.

Bookmark   November 16, 2004 at 6:57PM
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

Ditto to the above, and I would simply add 'Daydream' to the list, which is a sasanqua that is strong and fast growing here, which is the same climate as yours. It has large pretty blooms in the fall. And one more solution, if you are looking for only one plant, and you want a japonica, is to just splurge and buy a big one!!!

Bookmark   November 21, 2004 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Camellia sinensis in zone 10
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice...
borgf15
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™