Arbequina olive tree

rabbithole2020April 7, 2011

After an extensive search on the web I am back to the forum...

I obtained what I think is a Arbequina olive tree. Currently it's about 2 feet tall and growing on a single trunk. I planted it near the corner of my house where it gets afternoon sun from the southwest. From what I can tell the tree will get to be about 15-20 feet when mature but I can prune it to whatever size (or so I read). Ultimately I want to keep it the same height as my dwarf citrus when they mature so between 10-12 feet. I'm more worried about the root system. Like my dwarf Dancy Tangerine and Wonderful Pomegranate, I planted the olive tree 2 feet from the house.

I can't find any information on the root system of this tree other than it is shallow and I've read extensive information on growing them in pots, so it seems like it would be okay. Will I run into foundation problems with it being this close to the house? If I'm totally crazy for planting it close to the house, should I dig it up, pot it and bury the pot to act like a root barrier? How long would that last?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Like my dwarf Dancy Tangerine and Wonderful Pomegranate, I planted the olive tree 2 feet from the house.

Trees planted 2' from the house.

I don't intend to be disrespectful or hurtful, so please don't take it that way, but to be honest, I wouldn't plant a rosebush 2' from the house, let alone a tree.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 4:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rabbithole2020

Thank you hoovb,

I don't think your comment was disrespectful or hurtful. It is informative. :)

My parents have 2 dwarf citrus trees planted 2 feet from the house (tangerine and myer lemon) and 2 Podocarpus. Both about 15 years old. They haven't reported problems with them and they seem to trive. I think they also had 2 rosebushes along another side of the house but took them out when they re-lanscaped.

I figure that the root systems would aim outward from the house and being dwarf variety they would be compact and less invasive. The POM is not dwarf and I don't think the Arbequinta is either but both can be trained to grow into shrubs and grow well in containers. I selected varieties that grow well in pots thinking the roots will be compact.

My guess is an Arbequinta will have a similar growth pattern as a Podocarpus? Maybe issues 20-30 years from now?

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
My moonflowers won't bloom!
Hi. I'm Laura and I'm pretty new to gardening but I...
Laura Casconi
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Larvik Papyrus 6' Round
Home Depot
Tall Tree Shaped Standing Floor Lamp for Home Lighting
ParrotUncle
Uwharrie Nantucket Pine Storage Bench - N143-090D
$523.00 | Hayneedle
Stacy Garcia Calligraphy Tree Black Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Porcelain Herbes de Provence Box
| Dot & Bo