Sea Buckthorn

nBoer(6a)May 6, 2012

Does anyone know where I can find sea buckhorn plants in the GTA or anywhere here in Southern Ontario. I need a thorny spot covered where kids jump the fence and like the colour, height and fruit.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

Humber Nurseries on Hwy 50 @ Hwy 27 has them.

www.gardencentre.com

They are dioecious (male or female) so you will need at least one of each gender. If the gender isn't specified, you will have to play the odds with 3 or 4, eventually removing/replacing the extra male shrubs.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:44AM
nBoer(6a)

I went there physically last weekend and they had 3 plants of unknown gender. They where larger plants from the previous season and the tags had being washed off - hence not knowing their gender. I decided, not to risk it as the chances are they left over males (most often the case since you need less males). If you have seen new stock, I will run back....

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:03AM
smivies

Sheridan nurseries (call to find out which location has it)?
How about Connon nurseries in Waterdown?

I get the impression that Sea Buckthorn is commonly offered with the gender unknown. I think it might be because it's typically grown from seed and used in naturalized mass plantings where a few guys in the mix is not a big problem.

If it's flowering, one can usually identify male from female....look for the presence or absence of the pollen bearing stamens.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:45AM
yugoslava

Sea Buckthorn is what I got. Two varieties of females and one male. They spread all over. The male has grown tall and shading everything. The females are even worse. I have seen them sold in Stafford during Garlic Festival, which is sometimes in late August or early September. I bought mine 10 or 11 years ago from a nonexistent nursery. If you want to block an area females are better for that. You can grow them without a male, except there wouldn't be any fruit. The ones I grow are no more than 6 ft. and thorny.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:44AM
nBoer(6a)

Thank you Yugoslava. They happy in the ground and I look forward to my first crop! Much Much appreciated. PS love your garden!

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 9:46AM
yugoslava

It was nice meeting you too. Glad you like the garden.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
Canadian Garden blogs
I would love to collect a list of Canadian garden blogs...
Crafty Gardener
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™