Frost in Ottawa Area

mitanoff(Z4b Ontario)May 7, 2009

Hello All:

It goes without saying that the weather is unpredictable and nothing is 100% certain.

However . .

With the relatively mild weather we've been having, I was wondering what those of you in the Ottawa area was thinking about frost.

Are any of you thinking of planting out early?

Waiting for Victoria day?

I myself am leaning towards taking a chance and planting some of my perennials this weekend. I figure I can throw a blanket over them if there is a risk of frost. I have ordered a 'Whack' of plants that have started arriving in the mail and I am out of room to pot up plants.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willow_2007(5b & 4a)

I have planted several plants and following the weather forecast closely, so far so good :)

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 5:53AM
diggy500

hi there...i live just north of montreal and am looking forward to the growing season....i have planted a couple of plants already.....SUNDAY'S the day to watch...
other then that,i'm not to worried....but like we all know...mother nature can play tricks....good luck

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 5:45PM
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

Two weeks ago I did my cold seeds - arugula, spinach, carrots, beets, lettuce (leaf and romaine). I put out my tomatoes which were so cheap which I plan to cover. I am playing with fire here (or frost). I think I will cover my tomatoes tonight. I didn't plant my green peppers yet. BTW, Superstore in Ottawa has six veg plants for $1.00. I got cabbage (purple and savoy), brussel sprouts, gr. peppers, tomatoes(4) for under $10. I plan on starting my pumpkins, cucumbers, squash in two weeks. I know I will cave and do it next weekend though.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 12:47PM
mitanoff(Z4b Ontario)

So. . .I held off only because I was so busy. On Friday we had hail in my area. HAIL! Large, peanut sized hail. Thank goodness my tender maters were not out yet. Whew! I had some perennials outside, still in their pots and one of my large Columbine's got broken, but that was the only damage. Sneaky, sneaky mother nature.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™