Pachycormus discolor question

TT, zone 5b MAApril 16, 2011

Hi -

The base on my small P. discolor has really been thickening up recently.

The plant seems perfectly fine...but it has developed a small fissure along the line of some bark that is peeling.

It did this last year, as well. At that time, it was outdoors, so I thought it had been attacked by a bird or some other varmint. So, I dusted with a little cinnamon and it did not miss a beat after that.

This time, it is indoors so no varmints could be involved. The base is very firm, but there is a little stickiness around the split.

Anybody every see this on theirs?

Thanks!

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penfold2(4b, MN)

Yes, mine split this winter too! It worried me at first because it would bleed sap, which later dried into milky looking teardrops. Doesn't seem to have hurt it any. Maybe I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 9:57PM
caudex1

It's from increased girth of the base, won't hurt it. It adds character.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 10:54PM
cactusmcharris

It's not often that oozing fissures are a reason to run riot with happiness, so take advantage of it.

I got a baby P. d. from Miles recently. Does anyone know if I should water it infrequently in the summer, rather than let it go bone dry, since it's so little? I guess on one hand they're drought plants for much of the year, but it's such a wee one, I thought a little water would help it to September, but it could also be the source of future rot if I guess wrong.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 11:18PM
TT, zone 5b MA

In my climate, I pull back significantly in the hottest part of our summers. Otherwise, mine seem to like to grow...so I water them. They usually tell me when they want to be watered, and when they don't. I agree with your instinct to water a smaller one more frequently, but what do other folks here think about it?

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 12:11AM
penfold2(4b, MN)

Well here's mine. Looking at it now, I can see that it has healed some. The split used to be fairly deep and worrisome, but now it doesn't look too bad.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 10:52AM
suc_gremlin

i would be alarmed if this happend to mine! lol, glad you posted this tom.

in regards to the watering seedlings question,im working on the theory that they must have to put up with the same amount of rain fall in the wild as there parents so ive let my seedlings grow solid for just over a full year now to get them to a size were they look like they can handle themselves.ill probably stop watering in june let them go dorment and bake in the sun.

ill let you all know how many survive lol

ben

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 12:47PM
TT, zone 5b MA

The front of my base (first pic in my first posting) had a similar split last summer. You can see that it is completely healed over.

T

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
lots of new cactus, but are these 2 going to make it?
HELLO! So, Im new to cactus but I wanted some, and...
n3wport
Will this plant make it?
I put this plant in the sun for a almost a day and...
yonatin
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™