Camellias easy to grow?

crekha(Houston, TX)December 7, 2005

I live in Houston and am very new to gardening. Are camellias easy to grow? I had a terrible experience with gardenias and want to check before buying!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurie_bray(z8)

For the beginning 'Donation' ou 'Debbie'....

Laurie

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 12:17PM
Virginia_Bill(z7 SE VA)

The Houston climate should suit camellias just fine; HOWEVER, I know that at least part of Texas has very alkaline soil and camellias just will not do well in that.

Either have your soil tested or talk to someone knowledgeable at a local nursery. I suggest a real nursery as opposed to one of the "big box" stores that carry plants as one of their departments.

As long as soil and light conditions (generally filtered sun or open shade) are met, you should do fine with camellias.

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to post back to the forum if you have other questions.

Bill.

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 7:32PM
crekha(Houston, TX)

Do they do good in pots? I can control the acidity better in pots?
Thanks!

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 7:34PM
serenoa(z8b, FL)

From my observations, you have some great nurseries and botanical gardens in and around Houston. I have driven to Texas a couple of times to look for interesting plants for my north Florida garden. Make use of those valuable local resources!

Like other shrubs, you can grow camellias in pots for years with a little care but they eventually become potbound (the roots circle inside the pot) and poorly suited for planting in the ground later. With plant roots being confined to a small space, the main problem with pots is keeping plants watered properly, especially as they grow larger. Irregular watering can cause yellow leaves or stem die-back. Drying out completely one time can be fatal to the plant.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 10:32AM
carlyg(z8 East TX)

Do camelias bloom in the winter or colder times?

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 10:26PM
crekha(Houston, TX)

I bought two...Mrs Charles Cobb is blooming now...the temp is pretty high for winter now though, i am not sure what they do during normal winter temperatures

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 10:56PM
jeff_al

depending on the species, they flower from fall through spring. sasanquas are known for their fall-flowering whereas most japonicas will bloom in late winter through spring.
remember to not plant them too deeply; plant them no deeper than they were growing in the container or b&b material that came from the nursery. mulch the roots well and do not cultivate the soil where the tender surface roots are located.

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™