Sambuca shrub leaves wilting

beciferMay 26, 2014

Hi, We moved into our house 2 years ago and this gorgeous Sambuca shrub was huge and in great shape. It has obviously been here for a very long time and shaped into a tree.

This winter was harsh, harsh, harsh and I'm not sure if it has hurt the shrub. There is nothing happening at the top and the leaves that have come around the middle are all wilting. I have researched online and everyone says that wilting leaves means cane borers, but I have cut off numerous stems and there are no holes in any of them.

Does anyone have any ideas why the leaves may be wilting and why the top has no leaves at all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Oh my... Usually the leaves would have fallen off in the fall. Are these new leaves which suddenly wilted?. CUT OFF THAT BRANCH - it probably is infected with a fungus.

I too am having trouble with my plant. In my case, it hasn't even leafed out yet. But when I scrapped the bark, i can see it's showing a vibrant green and so I'm still hopeful it has survived.Then again number of other plants that should have leafed out by now in my zone, hasn't come up yet so I'm thinking things are simply delayed. It's a wait and see.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 12:44PM
becifer

Hi Ianna, yes they were new leaves. For some reason only leaves came out in the middle of the plant and nothing at the top. Then the new leaves wilted suddenly. I have cut off that branch and am waiting anxiously to see if anything else wilts. Crossing fingers.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 1:52PM
ianna(Z5b)

My plant is now showing leaves on one branch and yet not the others. very puzzling because those other branches are still quite green beneath the bark - hence not dead..

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™