Alien Invasion?

lanakolo(Z5 ONTARIO)May 12, 2006

Something extraordinary happened yesterday. When I went outside to check out how my garden is doing, I noticed that my favourite evergreen has turned brown. I was shocked! Just like that, from one day to another? When I got closer, my shock was even bigger. If what I saw would've been in a movie, I would've known right away that it is an alien invasion, but it was my back yard and I was trying to find out more rational explanation... I found none! The whole plant is covered by some oddly translucent brown gelatinous things. I had the feeling that at any moment it will start moving, but then I kept reminding myself that this is real life and there should be an normal explanation. I took pictures of this staff. Please take a look and let me know if you have any idea of what could that be.

Lana

Here is a link that might be useful: Alien Invasion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Probably cedar apple rust

Here is a link that might be useful: Explanation, some pics

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 11:34AM
ianna(Z5b)

Oh dear. That's not good news. Once it is infected it will remain infected. Hate to say it but you may need to get rid of the tree outright.

Ianna

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 3:41PM
Justine_London(5b-6a On.,Can.)

Don't know what is is but, I had the exact same "goop" on one grouping of cedars I have.....I had it once many years ago and it never came back.
I looked at your photos and the only difference is that my shrubs weren't covered as heavily as yours are...mine maybe 1/4 of your condition.
I just used my garden hose on heavy spray to remove the brown gelatinous stuff and rubbed and sprayed, and rubbed and sprayed. There was a buildup of fallen needles(is that what you call cedar foliage?) that got flushed out of the inner branches at the same time. It came off and never returned....I also thinned out the shrubs to allow more air/light to circulate.
Good luck to you, Justine

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 4:41PM
Justine_London(5b-6a On.,Can.)

Oh yeah, at the time I thought they were some kind of insect eggs...
great gardening to you, Justine

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know what's up with Spring Garden.ca?
Hi, I'm waiting on some bittersweet vines that I've...
lilies_and_roses
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
test
test
Nitefall
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™