Mock Orange

tishfromwis(z5 WI)May 21, 2008

I hope it is not too late, but my Mock Orange has not bloomed yet either. I've had it for two years and this is the third Spring. It is still too early to tell for sure if it will bloom this year or not, as it is only the third week in May. If it doesn't bloom this year, I would like to root prune like onewheeler suggested (with great instruction, I must say, but my question is when?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kinglemuelswife(3)

I have a mock orange as well, and it has its buds already. My in-laws had one that wouldn't bloom for 5 years, and we finally figured out it was because my father-in-law was pruning it every year. They bloom on old wood, so if you're pruning, don't. They stopped pruning and it has bloomed every year since. I don't know if you've already gone through this before, but I just thought I'd mention it. Hope you get some blooms soon!

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

I planted one in 2001. It did not bloom at all... ever. It clearly was a mock orange, but for some reason was not happy. I root pruned it, pruned in the late summer after it should have bloomed, stopped fertilizing it as it was quite large, tried every trick in the book. It must have been asexual or something. Anyway, it is now in my compost pile. Strange though, as there is another one closeby which blooms happily every year. Sometimes, one gets a dud.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 2:48AM
More Discussions
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™