Ever Heard Of A Sasanqua 'Rosey Red'?

sandy808(9Fl)December 1, 2007

I bought this at Lowes the other day and am debating about whether I should take it back or not. It is healthy and a very pretty hot pink single with golden stamens, but even the nursey that it originated from (Carolina Nursery) didn't have a clue about any info.

I've done a search on the internet and have come up dry. It would be nice to know the growth habit and whether it is truly suited to Florida. None of the Florida growers that I contacted heard of it.

Has anyone else heard of it, or grow it?

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy808(9Fl)

Well, I wasn't sure about how well this one would hold up in Florida, so I took it back. No one seems to know anything about it.

Sandy

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 9:37PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Camellias should do fine where you are, with a little protection from the full, blazing sun. I think if you look around your community, you'll see tons of colorful camellias blooming all through the fall and winter.

I don't know about this cultivar, in particular, but I lived in coastal zone 8b where camellias thrive in sandy soil within a stone's throw from the beach.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 12:01PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Maybe the cultivar name was lost at some point and "rosy red" is a description being used in its place. Otherwise, a great many camellias have been selected and named - have tried searching the name on the internet?

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 3:49PM
sandy808(9Fl)

I searched all over the place, and couldn't find a thing out about it. I have to admit that I was annoyed when the nursery that it came from couldn't even tell me anything about it.

Camellias do wonderfully here, but like any plant, there are some that will thrive in certain locales, and some that won't. That's why I decided to stick with camellias that the camellia farms in Florida are selling.

I am fortunate to have access to great camellias close to where I live, and they are privately owned by local people who love what they are doing. I like to give them my business, and they are wonderful with customer service.

Believe it or not, I've even gotten some of them to thrive in a great deal of sunshine. I think the key is lots of pine bark mulch, plenty of water when it is hot out, and lots of organics to feed the soil.

Sometimes I wonder if "Rosey Red" would have done well here, but I've since gotten some really nice ones that I am sure are adapted to my climate.

Sandy

Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
Kristin
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Will this camellia bloom soon?
I have 6 fairly new camellia bushes (most have bright...
Sarah Bain
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Mendota Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Poppy Red Bold Stripe Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Chinoiserie File Cabinet
$459.90 | Horchow
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Black Umbrella Table Outdoor La
Home Depot
Red Abstract Decorative Pillow ( Set of 2 )
Overstock.com
Peony Canvas Wall Art - 47W x 32H in. - 40-015
$109.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™