Porcelian Berry Vine

Min3 South S.F. Bay CAApril 15, 2013

Does anyone know if Porcelian Berry vine is invasive in the South Bay area? I started one on an arch and am wondering if it was a dumb thing to do.
Thanks, Min

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

It's invasive in places with summer water. I'm in Sonoma County and have three of them, and they seed like crazy. I use drip irrigation so it is primarily a matter of clearing the seedlings away from the drip holes near the plants. Interestingly, the birds don't seem to have dispersed the seeds at all, for I have never found seedlings anywhere else than around the base of the three vines I have (two on arbors, one on the side of the house). So I don't worry about it being invasive in the area since on our 33 acres it has made zero impact away from its own locations. I would not plant it if you use overhead water, as you'll have a much bigger seedling problem that way.

It's a fabulous plant for fall interest and the flowers, which are completely insignificant to us attract pollinators profusely - both honeybees and a wide variety of native pollinators. It looks pretty hellish in winter, though, and is late to leaf out in spring (just beginning).

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 4:08PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

Thanks very much for your clear information- it is very good news for my garden since I plant for bees and other pollinators and don't have an overhead watering system. Min

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:12AM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

You're welcome! My biggest gripe with it is that it is so late to leaf out, but so is the Vitis 'Roger's Red' on my other trellises...
Sara

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 2:09PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

I can wait for the leaves- so much other garden interest in spring. And they are worth it when they do leaf out. Min

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™