Mildew on poppy foliage

onederwApril 6, 2013

Okay. . . the big beautiful Drama Queen poppies are blooming (yaaay, Annie's!!), but the foliage is ugggg-leeeee. It seems to be beset by what I think is powdery mildew, and even though it doesn't seem to be affecting the blooms, I wonder what might be done to prevent it next time. (I have no expectation of being able to remedy the situation for this bloom season.) Anyone have experience with poppy mildew? Is this just something to put up with?

Kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardinerowa

The flowers are beautiful!

Next season, spray the poppies prior to the mildew appearing as it much easier to prevent than control. You can use neem oil or milk/water (part milk/part water). You can even use neem oil spray now if you'd like.
Mildew is very common in our zone 10 especially with very humid springs. I'm spraying almost all my annual plants once a week with a milk solution to hopefully prevent problems.

Z

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 1:29PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Poppies mildew. They are fairly ephemeral and don't much care about their foliage once they get the flowers going. It's all about creating that next generation of seeds.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:33AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Sometimes if you plant them farther apart you can avoid some of the mildew problems. Otherwise, you can spray with a fungicide, but I don't think it's worth it. I plant the poppies behind other tall plants to hide the foliage.

Love Drama Queen!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Suggestions for unusual and well-producing veggies for northbay?
We're about to plant the same old things: beans, tomatoes,...
carolsun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™