Losing the lawn: Sunset photo gallery

jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)April 22, 2011

This was published in today's SF Chronicle. If you're a Sunset subscriber, you may have already seen some or most of these photos. They're a good reminder that even though the drought is officially over, there are many more interesting designs for your front yard than a lawn, no matter which Western climate you live in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rethinking your yard: 20 ways to lose the lawn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

I love Sunset magazine, I'm a two-generation subscriber, but really nice to see the link and flip through all the gorgeous photos with additional links for info about some of the gardens. I have over an acre, and have two very tiny strips of lawn out front, more for color and to break up our lanscaping, and a small square of lawn in the back again, just for color. The rest is planted in nearly all water-wise plants on drip. After working on our sprinkling system, fixing leaks, and switching some areas to drip I was able to bring our water bill down by about 50%. Thanks for sharing, jkmom.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Beautiful. I would love to have any one of these yards, but I think the cost of the materials alone would be more than my lifetime gardening budget :)

Actually, there were three yards that had great ideas for those of us without a big budget for hardscape. I especially liked the little one with the green bunch grasses- so simple, yet so inviting.

Renee

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
Sponsored Products
Evening Sun Outdoor Art
Grandin Road
Moose Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$79.99 | zulily
Photo Frame Ladder
$179.99 | Dot & Bo
Quoizel 'Millennium' Gallery Gold Wall Fixture
Overstock.com
Gallery Deluxe Stainless Steel Medicine Cabinet with Frameless Mirror
Signature Hardware
Serena & Lily Woven Raffia Wall Frame
Serena & Lily
Algreen Terra Tumbler 56 Gallon Composter - 82312
$185.14 | Hayneedle
Premium Select Golden Espresso 60-Inch Ceiling Fan with Natural Cherry Solid Woo
$558.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™