Here's another one!

sjc48July 9, 2012

I've seen this little butterfly 3 times in the past 4-5 days and finally got a picture of him. What in the world is this? This time, I checked both my butterfly books, and there is nothing to show what this might be.

At first, I thought "I couldn't be seeing a black butterfly with white spots" and then I got this picture. Hi is a little smaller than a Cabbage White and moves very fast. He comes around mid morning and early evening. The back of his wings appears to be the same as the underside.

The picture isn't very good, but does anyone have an idea of what this is?

Shirley!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

'Looks like an 8-spotted forester to me, which is a moth.

Very pretty!

Sherry

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:51PM
sjc48

Thanks, Sherry, going to go google this!
Shirley!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 10:13PM
sjc48

Well, here's what I found out:
This is a "Alypia Octomaculata", a moth that flies during the day; it's found throughout the eastern USA and Canada; the host plants are grapevines or Virginia creeper; it overwinters as a pupa; they pupate in tunnels they construct in old wood or trash, just below the soil line; and are considered a pest in vineyards.
I don't have any grapevines, but there has always been some sort of vine growing up the back of my house, googled it and it could be a Virginia creeper. I think that I'm a little west of it's range, but really glad he showed up!
I'll try to get a better picture of this.
Have a great day!
Shirley!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:16AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Shirley, I remembered that I had found an 8 spotted forester cat a while back, so I checked my picture list and found this caterpillar eating grape leaves -

As I recall, I didn't try to rear it myself because of it needs pulpy wood to bore into to make its pupa, and I didn't know if I'd pick the right piece of wood.

Sherry

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:13AM
NaturesFolly(West MI 5)

Wow! That is some cat!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:26PM
sjc48

That's an excellent picture, Sherry. The websites I looked at last night didn't have pics of the cats or chrysalis's(I think that's the right word), so this is helpful to me.

Also, do you remember how long that cat measured? And is the yellow portion it's head? Thanks for sharing!

I went out to check the vine that might be the Virginia Creeper, this morning, and discovered that my neighbor had ripped it all out, thinking it was poison ivy. It isn't. I could spit!

I had a Question Mark come in today, he posed for me for about an hour, got some good pictures. He buzzed the rotting fruit, but didn't land on it. Nectared on the Butterfly Bush.

Shirley!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:41PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

As I recall, the caterpillar was about ?1 1/2" long, maybe a little longer, but that was several years ago, 'don't remember for sure. The yellow part is the head. :)

I saw a typo in my above post, at least I didn't delete a word I should have - I hate it when I do that!

Sherry

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™