perennials near the ocean

ivaqMay 21, 2011

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum but not to gardening.I will be retiring to a field by the ocean and am looking forward to building my gardens there too. To begin, I'm looking for ideas for perennials and shrubs that have grown well and survived at least 200 feet from the Atlantic. The land has no trees and faces southwest, although I have planted some tiny spruce and other indiginous trees.

Any ideas or any experiences you would like to share? I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jocelynpei

Rugusa roses do well by the ocean. Bayberry too, daylilies, all the artemesias, thrift...

Start your hardiest ones first, like your spruces, then inshore of that, the roses. We are a little more inland than you, but close enough to hear the ocean and have seen what folks plant right on the shore. Sweet chestnut, castanea, might be OK too, as there are perhaps some on Briar Island...or they could be horse chestnut, aesculus, as I have only heard of them, not seen them. Most of the tulips and daffodills do OK with salt spray too, and phlox...
Are you up the Cape or mainland NS? PEI?

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 7:41PM
ivaq

Thanks for the help, Jocelyn. I'm even farther away - Newfoundland. I've heard that lilacs and spirea may do well, and I'm hoping black eyed susans, coneflowers, shasta daisy,yarrow, too - the old hardy perennials that seem to survive year after year.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:23PM
wayner2000(5b Ontario)

Hi Ivaq,

you may also want to try lupins.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 9:35PM
ianna(Z5b)

try thrifts too.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 4:03PM
jocelynpei

Well, black eyed susans do great here, and even take the road salt as well as sea spray. What is your soil like? Shallow and dry, shallow and wet, or???? Somebosy else mentioned lupins.....the russel type are hardier than the gallery type, so try the russel lupins first.

Perennial sweet pea is based on the wild beach pea, so it should be OK too, and they smell devine. Vetches might be OK.

There is the old "cut and try" method....try what you like and see how it does.

Jocelyn

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™