Soak Cuttings in Miracle Gro Solution?

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)May 22, 2013

I recently purchased a couple of brug cuttings. The seller included a set of care instructions and one of notes was new and intriguing to me. The seller writes, "Plants are soaked in Miracle Gro solution to assist in transplant and reduce the shock in transplanting." Huh. What kind of MG solution would that be? I have to say, the cuttings were extremely healthy and perky upon arrival and although they had no roots when they hit my doorstep, they have rooted at lightening speed. I know that all of the environmental conditions are favorable, but man, I wish all my brugs would root this quickly!

Has anyone ever heard of soaking cuttings in a Miracle Gro solution? If so, which Miracle Gro product is used and what is the recipe/mix rate?

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

I've never done that. They're very easy to root in a pot of soil with nothing to help stimulate roots or growth.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 8:12AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Agreed! I have rooted plenty of brug cuttings and they are easy. I was just curious about this "Miracle Gro solution" and if anyone else had ever heard of it.

Carol

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:12AM
PKponder TX(7b)

I had not heard of that but it sounds like a winning strategy!

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 2:32PM
AllanRandall(z7 OKC)

I haven't heard of it either. To be honest, i would be afraid to try it. I suppose maybe if a take a no-id cutting, i could give it a whirl.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 12:18AM
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

For anyone interested, Carol (love_the_yard) also posted this topic in the Florida Gardening subforum, which spurred a discussion and has led to one of the posters, TheTradition, starting some trials, comparing and contrasting the effectiveness of different rooting methods, using Justicia as the sample plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Blue Water Root Cuttings Trials

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 1:55PM
gmomsbrugs(7)

If brugs are in the tomatoe family, wouldn't it be safe to say Miracle Grow for tomatoes . I'm gonig to try it, let you know. Carol

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 3:42PM
gmomsbrugs(7)

Well , I tried soaking cuttings in Miracle Grow like I said I would. Using the MG for tomatoes ( 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water) looks like watered down pink lemonade. I took the cutting yesterday from 3 different brugs and the very next day there were little nubs trying to poke through. To me that's quick . Can't wait to see what a week brings. Carol

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
goodgirl35us
ok for planting into yard?
This is cut tip of young relatively small Brugmansia. Unknown...
four
Brugmansia cuttings wanted
I'm looking for Brugmansia cuttings I'll pay postage...
rowtow
Sponsored Products
Maximus Sofa Bed
Dot & Bo
Priage 12-inch Euro Box Top Twin-size iCoil Spring Mattress and Steel Foundation
Overstock.com
Reed & Barton Burgundy Water Pitcher - S2345
$160.00 | Hayneedle
Tesla 3 LED 30-45 Adj Trim 28 Degree
Lightology
Rustic Outdoor Lounge Chair with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Madrix Luna DMX Controller (8 universes)
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™