Very successful tulips from home depot

tropical_thought(San Francisco)April 7, 2011

I bought just one bag of parrots and chilled them in a dorm refrigerator without other foods. I planted March 1, and now in less in then one month. I got all kind of tulips that are not parrots. The bags went on sale on black Friday in which they are half off, being only 2.50 per bag. I wish I bought like five bags and put them all over the place. Next year I will. Three were parrots the rest were those more expensive exotics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr view, then click previous to see the others

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rabbithole2020

In my mix of ten I got Rococos and Texas flames.

However in my 90 bulb mix of just red and yellow, I got over half that were mixed red and yellow (red petals with yellow edge). The yellow edge quickly faded and turned white. They looked like the ones in your photo without the ruffles.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 2:02PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

WOW!!! Is that color for real?

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 2:49PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Yes, there was no alternation to the color in photoshop. The heat can fade out the colors quickly. The best color happens when the flowers first bloom, then the colors begins to slowly fade out, each day looking less vibrant. This is why they say to plant them the season before in most climates, so they will bloom and be over before any heat happens. But, we just have bad rain and wind damage the flowers if planted at the normal time. If I plant them in Nov. they come up in January, because there is no dormant period. It never gets cold enough. January, February and March can have lots of cold rain.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 9:40PM
calistoga_al

Last year I also bought tulips from Home Depot which I chilled for a couple of months without looking at them. When I went to plant them, it was obvious they were not #1 bulbs. They did grow and bloom but over time not all together and not the colors listed. I will not buy from them again, at least not tulips. Al

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 8:24AM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Al, I would have been mad, if the bulbs I was getting did not cost more at brent and becky's, then the standard type. I look at as a grab bag surprise.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™