Finding weather data for comparison ??

joel_bc(z6 BC)May 1, 2013

I'm in need of an info source that could help in understanding changed local weather conditions. I've been gardening for over 30 years. We know from experience in our last three years that our local weather has involved cooler springs & later frosts (so planting has to be much delayed). At the same time, our summers have had fewer real-hot periods - and the mid-summer nights have been cooler (our time-tested corn varieties do not necessarily ripen ears).

I've located an Environment Canada site allowing access to daily or monthly temps (averages, plus highs and lows) for specific years - so it is not hard to come up with data for each of the last few problematic years. But I've tried to search the internet for "seasonal norms" for our area - you know, weekly or monthly temperature averages from something on the order of a 20-year or 30-year (or longer) period. "Crunched numbers". This is what I'm havng trouble finding.

Can anyone help me find my way to the "seasonal averages" sort of info that radio and TV weather announcers always make reference to? Thanks.

This post was edited by joel_bc on Thu, May 2, 13 at 15:47

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Try the weather channel and look for the historical data for your region. They normally show weekly average temperature but also do show a 30 year average. See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: weather channel

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joel_bc(z6 BC)

Thanks, ianna. The page for my home region does not include that info. I don't think they've had weather-sensing equipment in my little valley for long enough, yet.

However, I did use your suggestion in this sense: I found a "Contact" link and have sent them a message asking for week-by-week average temp-averags info - I sent them the name of one of the nearby larger towns, too. So possibly they will provide me with something useful.

May 11 post revision: It's now nine days later, I've sent three messages to the Weather Network, and I've rceived no reply from them. So possibly someone else here has an idea about where to go for this "seasonal norms" info?

Thanks, again.

This post was edited by joel_bc on Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:04

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™