Has anyone used 'Rapid Rot'

donna_jj(5b Montreal QC)May 13, 2007

Hello everyone,

While browsing in Home Depot this morning, I found the usual Compost Accelerator which I buy, and next to it was a product called Rapid Rot, by the Greenleaf Products company of B.C. It seems to accomplish the same thing as Compost Accelerator in a larger more cost friendly container.

Has anyone used this? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

Compost accelerating products usually contain the bacteria and assorted enzymes that break down the compost faster (some only contain nitrogen). A cheaper one might have a more dilute mixture, or it might just be a better deal - it's hard to tell.

If you have a working compost pile, then you can just toss a bit of that into the new batch and it'll do the same thing for considerably less money. This is what I do - it's cheaper and my thoughts are the more I spend on other things, the less I have to spend on plants! I do small batch cold composting and that is exactly the sort of thing accelerators are great for, but I find stuff still breaks down just fine without it.

Of course it'll be slower if you use old compost as your innoculant, but not by much - if you need compost now, then go ahead and buy it if it's cheaper than the stuff you were using before. But check what's in it - if it's just urea or some other form of nitrogen, skip it and buy your old stuff or buy a bag of lawn fertilizer for even less. Or skip it all and buy another plant :-)

BP

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 1:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mystery_Gardener

Hi Donna:

BP has excellent advice as usual. I am about to try using horsetails (impossible to get rid of so one might as well do something with them). You boil them up (outside, I presume) and add the resulting tea to your compost. It is supposed to work even better than commercial products. If you have horsetails it would be worth giving it a shot.

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 3:48AM
More Discussions
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Plant Nurseries in Canada disappearing?
I had bookmarked years ago something that lists all...
yugoslava
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Sponsored Products
Rizzy Home Embroidered White on Gray Decorative Toss Pillow - PILT03572GY001818
$34.00 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Antique Ferns Ivory 8' 6" x 11' 6"
Home Depot
Sitting Bull 'The Bull' Orange Adult Bean Bag Chair
Overstock.com
Vietri Set of Six Bianco Pasta Bowls
$240.00 | FRONTGATE
Herman Miller | Setu® Work Stool, Black Column
YLiving.com