Somewhere I read...

zwoddle(5b)May 26, 2006

a post about killing weeds that grow between the stones of the walkway. I don't remember what was used and I am hoping someone can help me. Vinegar sticks in my head but I am not sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Haven't tried vinegar myself, but boiling water has worked pretty well for me.

Janet's Garden

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 7:19PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Vinegar does work at full strenght. I've taken the whipper snipper and run it through to cut the weeds to the dirt - if you do this when angry it's good therapy and you'll really get the weeds - and then spray. For stubborn weeds, keep at it. It may take a few turns.

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 8:21PM
airfun

I tried regular vinegar (5%) with a bit of dishsoap on an annual grass (plus some other weeds)that grow in my driveway, no effect. I went looking for pickling vinegar (7%), can't find any yet, I suppose later in the summer.

I called the local (Kamloops) IPM hotline, they suggested a product from Scotts - Ecosense, on the label it states acetic acid 6.5 g/l - does that mean 6.5%? If so 2l at $13.95 is ridiculus compared to $4.50 for 4l for pickling vinegar - plus pickling vinegar isn't taxed, it's a food item!

I'll try weed whacking the little beasties so their injured litle cells will suck up the vinegar!

Thanks for the suggestion Tiffy!

Chris

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 1:54PM
airfun

Sorry! This: "acetic acid 6.5 g/l - does that mean 6.5%"
should have read: acetic acid 62.5 g/l - does that mean 6.25%"

Chris

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 2:20PM
cangrow(Z7 BC Canada)

Hi. I found a website discussing this. As you suspected, higher concentrations work best. See excerpt below, and link to site provided.

"The research conducted so far using vinegar shows that vinegar can kill several weed species at different growth stages. Using 10, 15 or 20% acetic acid concentrations, field researchers had an 80-100% kill rate of selected weeds, including giant foxtail up to 3" tall, common lambsquarter up to 5 inches, smooth pigweed up to 6 inches, and velvetleaf up to 9 inches. Using household vinegar (5%) produced variable results but seemed to be the most effective on Canada thistle where a 100% kill rate of the top growth was achieved. Re-growth from the roots, however, continued. Tim Prather, from UI, stated that you could achieve better results by spraying very small plants, 2-6 leaves. Continue spraying at two-week intervals. He's found that the maximum stage for the best kill-rate is the 4-leaf stage."

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinegar as an organic weed killer

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 2:41AM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™