Pomagranate not blooming

svenska(CA18/19)April 8, 2013

I have a three year old pomegranate in a very large pot. The tree seems happy, has put out good new branches and foliage each year after a 1/3 pruning while dormant. However, it has never bloomed. It leafs out wonderfully and is attractive in that way, but of course, I want more. It gets morning and early afternoon sun, but I have it in shade during the hottest afternoon. Because it's in a pot I didn't want to cook the roots. I had never fertilized it before this spring, but did use a "tea" that was somewhat heavy on the phosphorus side about three weeks ago. I'm getting lots of new leaves, but still can't spot a bloom. Any hints?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Three years is not very old. Why do you prune it? I have two 15 years old that bloom, but I never prune them. One is a wonderful and one is a nana. It is way too early for them to bloom this year. Al

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:45PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I have 4, in-ground. One is blooming but the other 3 haven't bloomed yet. They are all in full sun, and have not been pruned.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:51PM
bluerose4(9/10 sunset24)

I have 4 eversweet poms in gound that are 3 yrs old. A couple of them are putting on buds for the first time now but none on others. I have also read that blooms may not lead to fruits for another year or two. If your tree is healthy it just need to mature. I can hardly wait for my first home grown pom... Hope you get to have yours soon too!

Kate

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™