Pomagranate not blooming

svenska(CA18/19)April 8, 2013

I have a three year old pomegranate in a very large pot. The tree seems happy, has put out good new branches and foliage each year after a 1/3 pruning while dormant. However, it has never bloomed. It leafs out wonderfully and is attractive in that way, but of course, I want more. It gets morning and early afternoon sun, but I have it in shade during the hottest afternoon. Because it's in a pot I didn't want to cook the roots. I had never fertilized it before this spring, but did use a "tea" that was somewhat heavy on the phosphorus side about three weeks ago. I'm getting lots of new leaves, but still can't spot a bloom. Any hints?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Three years is not very old. Why do you prune it? I have two 15 years old that bloom, but I never prune them. One is a wonderful and one is a nana. It is way too early for them to bloom this year. Al

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:45PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I have 4, in-ground. One is blooming but the other 3 haven't bloomed yet. They are all in full sun, and have not been pruned.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:51PM
bluerose4(9/10 sunset24)

I have 4 eversweet poms in gound that are 3 yrs old. A couple of them are putting on buds for the first time now but none on others. I have also read that blooms may not lead to fruits for another year or two. If your tree is healthy it just need to mature. I can hardly wait for my first home grown pom... Hope you get to have yours soon too!

Kate

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
My moonflowers won't bloom!
Hi. I'm Laura and I'm pretty new to gardening but I...
Laura Casconi
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™