Fortnight Lily

dee_anne_lee(3b Canada)May 16, 2007

I have Fortnight Lily seeds, but they are for Zone 8. I live in Zone 3b. I do not expect them to survive our winter here, however I am wondering what you think the likelihood of them growing here for summer months would be if they were started in the greenhouse.

I would appreciate any input on this, they look like absolutely gorgeous flowers and are supposed to seed like crazy. I am sort of hoping that they might work like a biennial (but I'm not holding my breath).

Here is a link that might be useful: Fortnight lily photo and blurb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

They do seed like crazy! But they are not particularly weedy. Think of them as being similar to Iris stylosa but flowering over summer and you have some idea of the conditions and root type.

A fairly loose, even stony, soil with some added compost to hold moisture(not too rich - leaf mould is great) and good sunlight. If you have a continental type summer with dry conditions and high temperatures you may find that some shade over the mid day is appreciated, and some water.

In this zone the plant stays evergreen over winter so you can't count on full dormancy to carry you over the darker and colder days. We usually get a lot of rain over winter, too - far more wet days than frosty. Day temps are usually above 8C.

If you can manage to keep the plant cool-ish, freely drained but with reliable moisture/humidity and, perhaps, enough lighting to give around 6 hours during the day.

If you're growing in a pot do your best to avoid letting it get rootbound. They seem to take ages to 'leave the pot' and grow on in the ground otherwise.

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
Yacon
Is anyone growing this vegetable in Canada? It's a...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™