Boxwood damage over the winter

yugoslavaMay 22, 2014

I have seen a lot of boxwood in Toronto damaged over the winter. My boxwood, particularly mycrophylla, on the side facing south is mostly brown. This is the first time in 10 or 12 years, since I've planted them they have had such damage. The winter was brutal, no question about it. As it's warming up, I'm noticing more and more of my plants not showing any signs of life. Japanese maple, roses, pea schrub and probably few more. Surprisingly, rhododendrons and azaleas have survived without any damage. About boxwood, I have removed some of the brown leaves. Is there anything else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purple-anemone

Yes, I found the same - 2 of my 6 roses died and the rest are very damaged...some box wood too...and quite a lot of perennials. I'm no expert, but the only thing I thought I could do was the same as you...pruning out the real dead parts...maybe shape them later when/if some new growth surfaces...

Bookmark   December 2, 0002 at 12:07AM
purple-anemone

Yes, I found the same - 2 of my 6 roses died and the rest are very damaged...some box wood too...and quite a lot of perennials. I'm no expert, but the only thing I thought I could do was the same as you...pruning out the real dead parts...maybe shape them later when/if some new growth surfaces...

purple-anemone

prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I have a few boxwood and only one has any significant damage. That one is on the north side of a 6ft fence. All my other boxwoods, facing east, facing west along the foundation of the house, came through the winter with minimal to no damage at all.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 7:22AM
ianna(Z5b)

yes, several boxwood died. I have 2 I had carefully shaped over the years and now dead. 4 -5 others have died out too. 1 butterfly bush died but as i had just transplanted it out last season, it probably wasn't entrenched enough to survive the deep freeze. I also a rose bush that died. I haven't yet seen my elderberry come back, but we'll see. if it's not the deep freeze that killed it, it's the pathogen that will. My harry lauder walking stick is infested with blight,. I may have to cut it down.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Plant Nurseries in Canada disappearing?
I had bookmarked years ago something that lists all...
yugoslava
Is walnut tree mulch ok for paths between raised vegetable garden beds
Just had a stump ground down and am also in the process...
burtman23
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Sponsored Products
Boxwood Energy Star Rustic Bronze Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Fros
$69.99 | Bellacor
Berry Evergreens Christmas Wreath Christmas Decor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Dark Brown Boxwood Aqua Shield Mat
$19.99 | zulily
Bali Exterior Solar Shades: Boxwood (5%-7% Openness)
Blindsgalore
Fosters Point Vase With Dancing Orchid Boxwood Pearl Succulent
Beyond Stores
35 in. Boxwood Ball Topiary - 138207
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Boxwood Energy Star Rustic Bronze Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Fros
$129.99 | Bellacor
Square boxwood wreath 22"
Origin Crafts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™