Flower bed full sun

kaybee01(6A)May 4, 2012

I want to plant low growing 3-4" high plants that will take full sun and will flower all summer. I do have some bushes in background. I live in Ontario. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purple-anemone

I've been experimenting with this height for edging, and have not found anything that fits your requirements perfectly. I considered gold leaved plants for their foliage, like golden origanum or golden marjoram. Or lime/golden lamium that has golden leaves, but not always flowers. Slightly higher Geranium Rozanne Crannesbill, is a winner though. Also catmint, there is a dwarf version, also a bit higher than 4 inches. I tried scabiosa and campanula and pink coreopsis, but non of them flower all summer.
What about annuals? There will be quite a lot.
I'd love to see what the other gardeners say here.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 6:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

a number of creeping plants will meet your height requirements however flowering all summer long wlll be a problem. The only solution is using annuals like petunias. Or if you are into succession gardening, you can plant perennials creepers that blooms at certain stages of the season. For example now blooming are campanulas and speedwells. in a couple of weeks my thrifts would start blooming. later some dwarf form of lavenders will bloom all summer. you may then consider some low growing achilleas (careful they spread).

I've grown oregano btw. Great spreader but their flowers bloom tall and flop over.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Planting near to the wooden fence of lawn
Is it ok to grow my plants just adjacent to the wooden...
sdraza1
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Best Nurseries to order from?
This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere...
hmacgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™