How many days before rooting cuttings

klyde(8)April 15, 2012

Hey all

I've got a few cuttings of rhipsalis, and I'm wondering how many days to wait before I root them up. I did it a few years ago, but can't remember how long I waited...what is the best length of time. I'd sure listen to some good advice on how to root them up too if you've got the time...

Kelly in Victoria

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I've recently gotten some myself & potted them into a mix of 1/2 African violet mix & 1/2 perlite. Set the cuttings in damp mix, mist every couple of days.

I'd use small plastic pots, 2-3 cuttings per pot & I don't remember how long it takes, it's fast, but don't recall it in days, or like maybe weeks (I guess I didn't mark how long it took, sorry).

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 11:53PM
klyde(8)

Hi PG

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very clear about my question...I was wondering how long to let the cuttings dry before rooting them. I've always done that with succulents, and it works like a hot damn. Just not too sure if it's a few days or a couple of weeks. That kind of thing :)

Kelly in Victoria

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 12:30PM
cactusmcharris

Kelly,

A few days should suffice for almost any cutting (depending on the size). If you want to accelerate the process you can daub Rootone on the cut end.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:13PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Kelly,

Wow, I had no idea that's what you meant.

You don't need to do that w/ these (IMO). They originate in jungle that is rain forest, so they're in a pretty humid environment. I believe they root where they fall & I doubt they get much time to dry out. When I take cuttings of my own, maybe I leave them out overnight, at most a day or 2 'cause they really don't need it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:52PM
klyde(8)

Thanks cactusmcharris and pirate girl!

Kind regards
Kelly in Victoria

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™