grass for prob area

dancerdeb(23)April 10, 2011

Small backyard area for grass - perimeter plantings, large patio; coastal L A; the St Augustine grass turns into mud because it's partially in shade in winter, although our temps don't drop out out of the 40's. Not a fan of the 2 season lawn routine. Kikuyu grass sounds interesting - invasive, so what, this lawn is very isolated...We like to sit on the grass, sunbathe, etc, so that eliminates natives you can't step on.

Any other suggestions?

thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

"the St Augustine grass turns into mud because it's partially in shade in winter"

St. Augustine goes completely dormant in Southern California in the winter, : that is why it turns into mud. Which prompts another question--is there a drainage problem?

Marathon Fescue or hybrid Bermuda if you want a true mown lawn. Soft, silky, lovely to sit on. If you are coastal, either would be happy in summer.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 6:26PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I don't know how Kikuyu grass responds to winter shade in Louisiana, but it certainly does better here in the San Francisco Bay Area as a full sun turf. It tends to stay pretty much green and full here in full sun, even though we do flirt with freezing temps briefly in winter.

I might suggest using dwarf Mondo Grass as a lawn substitute, if it doesn't have to accommodate but occasional traffic. It holds up really well to winter shade and wet soils locally, but is slow to fill in.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 12:34PM
dancerdeb(23)

Thanks, will amend soil prior to putting in new lawn; will consider all three types; BTW, was just in Millbrae visiting our son; amazing how well citrus does on the peninsula!

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™