success in GTA/Ontario5a with pawpaws?
Has anyone in Ontario Zone 5A, especially in the Greater Toronto Area, had any success with planting and growing pawpaws?
1) How long have you had your trees?
2) How big were they when you planted them?
3) What problems have you had with them?
4) How did you protect the young'uns from wind, and until what point (height? time from planting?)?
5) I know they must start in shade, but can they stay in shade?
6) Did you plant at least two trees, and if so, [a] did you have to ensure that they are genetically different, and [b] how far apart did you plant them?
7) Do beetles and flies pollinate the flowers, or do you have to pollinate by hand?
8) Do the flowers smell bad? If so, how far do you need to be from the flowers not to notice the smell?
9) How many years before one gets fruit?
- What DOs and DON'Ts can you suggest?