What to do with 45 degree slope yard?

la_newgardenerApril 27, 2010

We have a large sectional backyard. The back section of our yard has a large slope uphill of about 45 degrees and ends with the fence. We have few lilly plants & few average size trees up there, our dogs do run and goto bathroom in that area. It's so steep, it's kind of hard to walk in certain areas.

Right now we cleaned all the weeds, and covered the ground with weed cloth. Due to the slope and since the dirt underneath is not compact, the weed cloth has got wrinkles.

We want to make this space dog friendly, looking for options.

We thought of gravel as an option, I believe gravels can run downhill in wet weather or with just dogs running. Also, we live in seasonal high wind area, so what we choose has to be sturdy.

I was wondering if there is any material that's simple to work with and does not have many problems being on a slope.

Also do we need to compact the dirt before we put the weed cloth?

Any other suggestions are welcome. I can post pictures of the slope if needed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gobluedjm

Yes if you can post some pics that would help with better responses. I've got some steep areas also.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 1:15PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I also live on a slope and have found that making terraces has been the only solution for making a garden. Not having a dog I don't know about dog runs. All our animals are natives and manage the terrain a little TOO good. Al

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:36AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Terraces are the best solution, but very expensive.

I don't think you will find any material that will stick to weed cloth on a steep slope. I think you will want to plant some tough shrubs or groundcover to cover the weed cloth instead.

My father-in-law put two railroad tie winding staircases up his slope so the dogs could run up one, across the back, and down the other. He planted rosemary on the slope, with a few trees. It works beautifully. They prefer the stairs to the slope.

Renee

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:07PM
la_newgardener

Here are the links to photos of the backyard. I don't think they do justice to show the angle. The slope begins at the cement barrier.

http://vijpersonal.zenfolio.com/p654278809/e28565fd2

http://vijpersonal.zenfolio.com/p654278809/e38226918

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 1:08PM
gobluedjm

Your pic with the side fence does help in showing how steep. It looks to be about 8 feet or so wide or surface area. You might be able to get 1 terrace layer.
I also think a combo of steps and terraces would work.
You need to consider how big the dogs are and will they be running and trampling over everything...is it their playground.
Since I have no animals either I don't know what to recommend for plants. For dogs running around anything loose is going to get kicked up...wood chips, pebbles, rocks, gravel etc

Here is a pic of mine after I tore out most of the dead plants and before I started. I have since added a row of blocks to each and replaced the old rotting railroad ties with treated wood.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 3:04PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

It doesn't seem that steep. I'd build a small block retaining wall to flatten the whole area out and give yourself more usable space, which adds value to the property in the long term.

But, I like to do stuff like that, and not everyone does.

You'll regret that weed fabric pretty quick. Weeds simply grow right on top of it.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 12:58AM
borderbarb

Among the things that will influence your decision are your present age/energy, how long you intend to live in this home, and property values.

In my 40's/50's, I terraced a very steep back yard, which was useless as garden space, and provided no mitigation for run-off from rain/irrigation - and improper drainage from neighbor's property, often creating a 'bog' in clay soil of flat portion of yard.

It was hard work, but now in my 70's I am SO GLAD for those terraces, because even with some balance issues, I can still garden in the sunniest part of my yard.

The terrace levels are constructed of dry-laid rock walls.[gathered from construction sites -more time than money] 'Cement' was the native clay soil. Now, 30 years later, walls still strong. ... Well, anyway, hope this helps you decide.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Need Giant Whitefly Locations in SoCal (Researcher)
Hello I am an Entomology Ph.D. student in need of some...
nebulusx
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Sponsored Products
Masiero Lighting | Tessuti Round 2 Light Pendant Light
YLighting
Hadleigh Bar Height Stool in Black
Overstock.com
56" Minka Aire Uchiwa Black and Chrome Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Soda Bar Stool in Black
$59.00 | LexMod
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Coupe Collection 1-light Venetian Bronze Han
Home Depot
Prichard modern loveseat sofa with steel metal base
Interior Define
Klus 1399 - 45-ALU series LED Profile Mounting Clip, Corner Mount
Super Bright LEDs
15751BKT Textured Black 12.4 Watts Narrow Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™