rain garden - need plant suggestions

ianna(Z5b)May 7, 2008

I've just established an area near my brand new pond as a rain garden. The area is just too muddy and gets too soggy each time it rains. No sense fighting the situation and so I've converted it into a rain garden.

I need suggestions,for plants that like it's feet occasionally wet, clay (although heavily mixed in with compost), and full sun condition. I've already added siberian irises, astilbe and a daylily. I need more ideas. I need tall plants for the backdrop as well as other plants for foliage interest. Any advise would be appreciated.

Ianna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaro_in_montreal

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' perhaps ?

(hit the link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 8:06PM
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

A magazine I just read had an article on rain gardens - here are ones they listed: iris, cardinal flower (lobelia cardinalis), switch grass (panicum virgatum), lily turf (liriope spp), cinnamon fern (osmunda cinnamomea). I don't have any input on any of them though.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 9:30PM
beegood_gw

How about Marsh Marigolds. They come in both single & double flowers.I have Wild Mint in a low area in my pasture but it may get invasive.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:21AM
marricgardens

Have you considered putting in a shrub? I was thinking of 'Hakuro Nishiki', dappled willow. They like consistently moist soil-after all, it is a willow. Marg

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:56AM
ianna(Z5b)

Some of these plants I haven't even considered and so your suggestions have been very informative. Thanks

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 3:19PM
amib

I suggest digitalis (foxglove) - easy to grow from seed, gorgeous, self-propagating, and tolerant of just about everything, judging by where they've grown in my garden.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 3:00PM
ianna(Z5b)

Thanks, I do like the plant however because it is toxic and I have a young child and many more young children who play in my yard regularly, I would rather err on the side of safety. For this reason, I do not plant euphorbia, castor bean and monkshood.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 3:03PM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

Does it have to be a perennial? Cyperus papyrus can get several feet tall, loves wet feet, and is really neat looking.

BP

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 4:28PM
ianna(Z5b)

Hi BP, I'd like to do that one day. Tropicals require overwintering and I just don't have the space nor the time to take care of indoor plants. For now I'm concentrating on perennials only because I hardly have time to do any heavy duty gardening anymore :o(. Marginal pond plants are fascinating. I've not attempted to do anything like this before so things are rather new to me. It's a whole new look. Another problem that has cropped up in my backyard is a new bed I created in a shady part of the yard and it's starting to smell which tells me that I have a problem in that bed. Probably no oxygen and not enough organics. I'm going to have to redo the bed :o (

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 9:55AM
denise2036(z5IN)

We have a rain garden in Indiana, clay soil. We planted Milkweed, Cardinal Flower, Liatris, Spiderwort, Purple Coneflowers, Carex, and New England Asters. I would post a picture if I knew how.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 9:25AM
ianna(Z5b)

I can't post pictures myself. I'm a nitwit in that regard. But things for the suggestions. I like the idea of liatris and spiderwort and the asters. I have added my cardinalis in between some sweetflags but I need more to make the area lush.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:02PM
nohandle(6a swON)

If you're still looking for suggestions, our rain/woodland garden includes turtlehead, bottle gentian, wild ginger, hepatica, great blue lobelia, wood poppy, uvularia, carex grayii, marsh marigold, blue-eyed grass and some ferns.
Although they are all in sandy soil and partial shade, a few of these would do very well in full sun and heavy soil as well.
And if you are referring to lobelia cardinalis, that's a very good choice.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 4:26PM
ianna(Z5b)

excellent. Thanks for the suggestions. The list fits well with my interest in wildflower gardening. Oh yes, my cardinalis is the lobelia cardinales. I've also put in a creeping jenny but I'm still a bit hesitant considering this plant can be a bit too aggressive or perhaps could even be considered invasive.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
Yacon
Is anyone growing this vegetable in Canada? It's a...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™