Oakland gardening - summer/warm-weather veggies

infrarossaApril 16, 2009

Hello :)

I'm new to this forum and for that matter, to California - oakland to be more specific - as well.

I would like to get feedback from East Bay gardeners on how viable it is to grow summer & warm-weather veggies, particularly melons, corn, and tomatoes. Would you please comment on your experiences with these and/or if you have any suggestions or tips on growing them or specific varieties that you recommend?

The USDA hardiness zone suggests my zip code in oakland is zone 9a. This seems to be of limited value since it doesn't do much more than suggest I won't have many freezes to deal with. Now I've lived in zone 9a before but that was in the south so there was no question of getting enough warmth/heat/sunshine to grow tomatoes, corn, etc, in that region. Growing degree days might be a more useful number but then I don't know of any GDD values for tomatoes, though I think some exist for corn...

From everything I'm told here by the few locals I've had a chance to talk to, the fog is a big factor in determining what you can and can't grow. However, I understand that Oakland is sunnier/warmer than SF with less fog, so I'm hoping at least some of these summer veggies can be grown here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Lots of warm weather vegetables will do well in Oakland if you have a full sun location. Every library will have copies of the Sunset Western Garden Book which will be a useful guide to gardening in California, or Oakland. Al

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
New exciting Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living Magazine
For advice from professionals look at our magazine...
Justin Wride
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
Have you he@rd of SLOLA?
Great time at seed library meeting in Los Angeles....
Wild Haired Mavens
Sponsored Products
Antique Hammered Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware
Lusevera Slate Birdbath Fountain
Overstock.com
Oversized Floral Outdoor Pillow
Grandin Road
Cabos Diamond Outdoor Area Rug
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Empire State Acorn
Home Depot