almost all of my zinnias flopped over

beaniebeagleJuly 15, 2012

most have flopped over and it annoys me

others than stakes or netting to keep them upright next year, can I just transplant them deeper and get roots from the stem like i do to my tomatoes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Where and how are you growing your zinnias? Were they started indoors and transplanted outdoors? If so, how big were they when transplanted and how long have they been in the ground? Are they growing in full sun? How has your weather/rain been recently. What varieties are you growing? All of these details could have some bearing on why your plants fell over. Is it possible for you to plant other, supportive plants among the zinnias, like sunflowers or tithonia?

I don't think planting your zinnias more deeply will help. I think your stems will rot and you'd lose the plants altogether. I hope things improve for you. Is it too late to stake them now? Or could you pinch them back to allow for more branching? Good luck.

Martha

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 10:19AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Martha is so right...the issue here is probably cultural. I don't believe that this is a common problem with zinnia. To add to Martha's list, I wonder about over fertilization and planting too closely. Insufficient light was the first thing to pop into my mind, though.

I grow all of my own plants from seed, starting them several weeks early inside. It's imperative that both the light and temperature be balanced (high light/low temps) to insure sturdy, stocky plants for transplanting into the garden.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:01AM
beaniebeagle

i have red cap zinnias and purple prince zinnias

Yes they were started indoors but were moved outside fairly quickly and remained in 5 inch deep pots until the pots were filled with roots. the plants were from 6 to 8 inches high when planted into the ground.

some are 2 feet high and blooming like crazy, spaced about 18 inches apart. definitely not overfertilized

a lot of them are staked, but a good portion of them the main stem is laying on the ground with the rest of the growth upright like it was on its knees

happened last year with the same zinnias...oh well

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Aristolochia fimbriata seeds for trade
I have a lot (probably 100+) of fresh seed from my...
CrazyPlantLady1
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
They're back
Here in Central Florida we are at mid spring. I have...
tom123_gw
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™