Euphorbia medusoid identification

swimeatsleep_repeatApril 1, 2013

I need help finding the name of this guy; it's been bothering me for quite some time. Getting a name would help me be able to nail a price on it. After an extensive search of the internets in an attempt to find similar plant structure/inflorescences, the best I could come up with was something like Euphorbia esculenta (See last pictures at bottom of this page: http://www.u4ba.nl/Section%20medusae/section_medusaeAE.htm ). However, the plant I have has richly-colored maroon leaves and infructescences (fruit), even when grown in different degrees of sunlight. Wondering if anyone has had experience with any of these or if I have a hybrid on my hands (not unlikely).
Additional info:
The picture is old, the specimen now has a 16-inch diameter (including its arms) and the caudex is probably about 4-6 inches in diameter.
Specimen was a volunteer in a pot (from a very well-respected garden of rarities), so I can't possibly know for sure if it isn't a hybrid.
It would also be helpful if you are able to give me a reasonable value.
Somewhat similar plant under esculenta name (with a price): http://www.fat-plants.com/euphorbia_esculenta36.html
I'll attach a couple more pics.
Thank you so much in advance!
Take it easy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swimeatsleep_repeat

this is another view:

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:25PM
swimeatsleep_repeat

and this view shows the infructescence (maroon like the leaves):

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:26PM
denniso_z9_so_cal(z9 So.Calif)

I am not an expert on Euphorbia medusoid plant types although I do have four different types in my collection. When I first saw your plant I thought it might be a Euphorbia caput-medusae or a hybrid with caput-medusae. First the cyathia is whitish which the caput-medusae is as well. The length of the leaves look correct and it is not unusual for them to have a purplish cast. I found a photo of a caput-medusae that sure shows a lot of simularities. It is very hard to put an exact name to these plants because they seem to exibit a lot of minor differences on named plants. I wish I could help more but these are tough ones to nail down.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Euphorbia_caput-medusae_01.JPG

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 12:41AM
swimeatsleep_repeat

Thanks so much, denniso_z9_so_cal. Caput-medusae is one of my suspicions, but you're so right about the multitude of minor differences. So many variations and so much hybridization... May not know what it really is, but it's a pretty plant I guess! Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 12:58AM
123Greta(9b)

Very nice.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
New Additions from the Philadelphia Flower Show
This is what I acquired on Saturday at the Flower Show....
ehuns27 7a PA
Need help IDing a hawthoria.
Any ideas? A penny used as a scale marker. Grantgarden2...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Jade Pruning - Advice/Comments?
I was gifted this Jade over a year ago and just did...
Danielle
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™