Two Skipper IDs?

BrianZ8aCPTXJuly 8, 2011

Took these last weekend:

My guess is a Fiery Skipper?

And this one I can't tell:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I think they're both fiery skippers, with the one in the second picture just being older and much more worn than the first one. But I'm NO skipper expert.
If anybody knows for sure what type skipper they are please post. And while we're IDing skippers, does anybody know what type this is? Bright orange skippers that look just like this one have been turning up in my garden lately -

Sherry

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 1:04PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

The first two are fieries. Miss Sherry, yours is a Whirlabout or Polites vibex. Awesome find!!

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 2:50PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Thanks, Sandy!
My field guide says they actually 'whirl-about' when they fly off. I've never paid attention to their 'fight pattern' but I'll certainly start.
Sherry

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 7:41PM
bananasinohio(6OH)

Wow! That orange on the purple is gorgeous. It is my favorite color combination. The problem with this forum is that I could sit here and look at the photos all day. And I need to get out and plant a butterfly garden at a school this morning!
Cheers,
Elisabeth

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:10AM
sunshinenc(z7 NC)

Sherry, what kind of flower is the purple one? It is absolutely gorgeous!! Wow, I have got to have some of those whatever they are :) Also, great pics from both of you! Regina

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 3:12PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

There are many whirlabouts in my garden, nectaring on the lantana, and they do indeed 'whirl about' when they take off and land. They're cute!
Sunshine, the purple flower is Passiflora 'Incense' a hybrid of P. incarnata, the native maypops, and P. cincinnata, not native. It makes the biggest flower of any passionvine I grow. This particular flower was blooming on a vine that came up from a runner in my garden - the flowers and vine have climbed up a wild azalea, so it sort of looks like the azalea is making big purple flowers! :)
It has the same good smell as P. incarnata only much fainter. Gulf frits won't lay eggs on it unless everything else is used, but I keep it for the big, impressive flowers, that many insects nectar on.
Here's a better picture -

Sherry

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™