Avocados in Sacramento area

norcal916(USDA 9 / Sunset 14)April 17, 2008

Not sure if this question has already been addressed in the past but I did a search and couldn't find...

I live just east of Sacramento in Fair Oaks. Bought a 3 foot tall Haas Avacado last year. I planted in a large container thinking the Haas would be too frost sensitive for in ground( I move it into garage for the night if there's a hard frost/freeze predicted). Currently it's lush with new leaves and looks great. My question is does anyone know if it will eventually bear fruit strictly as a container tree ? I assume it wouldn't be wise to plant a Haas in ground here?

On that note does anyone know of or have experience growing other hardier avacado types like Bacon or Fuerte that will do good and produce in ground in Sacramento?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kerrican2001(z9b CA)

THE best avo variety for inland NorCal is hands down Mexicola or Mexicola Grande (same tree but bigger fruit). Bacon and Fuerte will be fine for 10 to 15 years and then get whacked back by a hard freeze before regrowing, but Mexicola will be unscathed and prolific. Our friends have been growing them for many years with great success. The nurseries don't always stock them but they can definitely order them.

Hass is NOT good in the ground in Sacramento. It does okay in the coastal Bay Area (Oakland, San Jose, etc) but not inland. Really frost tender.

Trust me on Mexicola! You won't be sorry!

Oh, keep in mind avocados like a little filtered afternoon shade if possible in a hot area.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 6:48PM
norcal916(USDA 9 / Sunset 14)

kerrican2001 -thanks for the tip. I will look into the Mexicola !

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 1:01AM
dante_2006(9)

Is there much difference in fruit between Hass and Mexicola?

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 11:44AM
stanofh

Also a frost tender plant always has a better chance in ground then kept in a pot. Better to plant the Hass and enjoy until a 1990 type freeze returns in 10 or 20 years, or never again.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 1:22PM
kcdeadeye13(9b Ca)

kerrican2001, great advise on what to grow. Just one point of fact, Mexicola and Mexicola Grande are not related other than they are both avocados. Mexicola Grande is called that as a sales tool. Kerrican where do you live? I am in Newman in the central valley. Kern

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 9:49AM
Leveltus_msn_com

I planted an avocado from seed about 7 years ago and this year it is full of blooms. What's the chance of avocados this year?

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™