Cats won't transition from A. curassavica to A. viridis

flutterby64(7a)July 24, 2011

I have several Monarch cats on Tropical milkweed, but I'm running out of it. So I took one of the 4th instar cats and placed him on A. viridis thinking he would be ok with that. Instead, he started snapping his head up & down and eventually fell off the leaf and crawled away. Why did this happen? Can I not transition them to another type of mw?

Dana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

Back in '70s, I ran into extremely picky monarch cats all the time. These days, they don't seem to care. So I'm surprised you're having problems.

I'd work on switching the agreeable ones and hope you have enough tropical for those who refuse to switch.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 2:03AM
Tony G(5a)

I'm not familiar with the viridis species but my cats have no problem switching between swamp, tropical, common, and butterfly weed.

I'm sure he will come around soon, Tony

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 1:32PM
imabirdnut

I just raised 10 cats that I found on both tropical & swamp milkweed & fed them common with no problem. I have some of the A.viridis in pots but forgot to try it with them before they pupated. I tbink this time of year, all the A.viridis is gone around the native areas because of the heat...I wonder if that is why it didn't like it??? Do you have any swamp or common? They seemed to love both for me! :o)
Lila aka 'imabirdnut'

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 9:45AM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Dana,

Did the little cats ever begin to eat the A. viridis? I know how awful it is when you feel you're going to run out of food for the little guys.

~Mary

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 2:02PM
TomatoWorm59

Cats are often just the most finicky of eaters. I'm referring to the 6-legged kind, too. I reared a number of tobacco hornworms, and for the first time ever, could NOT get them to move from tomato to pepper, horsenettle or ground cherry. I even tried rubbing tomato plant scent on them. UGH!

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Starting to look good in the south U.S.A....
Yesterday and today I saw butterflies here in my "yard". Actually...
dragonflydee
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Found a tagged Monarch today
It was on some Milkweed flowers. I could see a white...
jane__ny
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 30 in. Bronze Table Lamp with T
Home Depot
Brown Eco Jute Rug
$74.99 | zulily
Animale Ram Decanter
$225.00 | Horchow
Leucos | Laguna S105 Platinum Suspension Light
YLighting
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Whiteflake Mat
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Shady Tree Pendant
Lightology
Vig Furniture - Transitional Fabric 4 Seater Sofa - VGUNAX023