Rainier strawberries

maxmillanMay 9, 2007

I bought a plant that is now starting to flower. It says on the instruction to remove flowers and buds. This is my first time growing June bearing strawberries and wonder why I should removed these buds...or should I?

I thought that I'd remove some of the larger leaves so the nutrients can concentrate to the berries.

What is the proper way to grow the maximum amount of strawberries? I only have one plant and it's in a large terra cotta planter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

Removing flowers and buds is traditionally recommended for strawberry plants in their first year - this allows the plant to concentrate on roots and runners, giving you a better crop in the next year. If you have a way of overwintering this plant I would recommend it. If you can't overwinter it, then allow it to set as much fruit as it can - it'll be all you get.

Do not remove any leaves - leaves are essential to energy production for the plant. Less energy=fewer berries.

I grew strawberries in pots for several years and I will say it can be done fairly easily, as long as you keep them well watered, and fertilize often with a dilute low nitrogen fertilizer.

You're not going to get many berries from one new plant, sorry to say. Maybe two or three a day for a couple of weeks, maximum. Older plants produce better, since they have more crowns, and they have had a chance to produce runners, giving you more plants.

BP

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Canada Blooms in Toronto
Good day all, I've just found a possee of gardening...
Justine_London
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Anatolia AN515A 2'3" x 10' Strawberry, Ivory Rug
$202.50 | PlushRugs
Monkey Bread
$62.00 | Horchow
Dolan Designs Rainier Satin Nickel 15-Light Chandelier
$931.00 | LuxeDecor
Refrax Strip Suspension
Lightology
Rainier Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant
$139.00 | Bellacor